Thursday, March 05, 2009

Write More and Read Less

I try to write more and perhaps read less.

I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of information. I read emails, site feeds, plurks (note 1). Some of them then point to blog articles, videos etc. Information overload! Some days I find that I do nothing all day except consuming information.

So I started feeling all this input doesn't do very much. It only has some kind of results if I output something. So I thought I should also produce, not just consume.

Also, It took me a LONG time to write my summer project report. I realized that was something I could improve on. It motivated me to practise writing, especially in English.

I used to be too busy reading and didn't get around to write.
I came across this article, Cory Doctorow: Writing in the Age of Distraction. It suggests writing for a short time consistently, daily. That's what I'm trying.

So you see that I've written more posts recently. Even if a lot of them are worth little, it's a practice for me. Hopefully I sharpen myself. Hopefully this continues. I hope things don't get busy and I stop writing. Fingers crossed.


Related Links:
Cory Doctorow: Writing in the Age of Distraction
中文版 - [productivity] 持續寫作這件事 – keep writing

note 1: I don't check Facebook because that's just too messy. Way too many notifications, invitations, whatever. The broadcasting is annoying. I just don't bother unless somebody can show me a simple way to manage the messages I broadcast and receive. And, Lydia and Alice show no intention of introducing me to their female friends listed in Facebook.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What~?! Is that what you want from Facebook?? mm...i don't normally do that neh... haha
And most of them are occupied. sorry~ :p

Anonymous said...

LOL.. rejected! hehe...

Anonymous said...

now I stay in touch..