Tuesday, October 09, 2007

RSS

FYI. Just to mention this RSS thing. Hopefully some might find it useful.
If you subscribe to the RSS feeds of web sites, it notifies you when there are new articles on the web site.

For example, I subscribe to RSS feeds of my friends blogs. So I check my RSS reader to see if there are new articles on their blog. I don't need to open each blog page one by one to see. It's like checking the mailbox for new mails.
I subscribe to certain types of news on NZ Herald. For exmaple, if there's a new article about "Chinese in New Zealand". I'll see the feed in my RSS reader.
I start to use it to subscribe it to job web site too. So I get notified when a new job get posted.


(A Screenshot of Google Reader)

To get started, you need a RSS reader/aggregator. You might try one of these:
Google Reader
http://www.google.com/reader/
SharpReader
http://www.sharpreader.net/

I use Google Reader nowadays because it is web based, so I can move between computers without setting up all the feeds again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.. interesting, didn't know this useful stuff...

just one question.. why's mine being displayed? but it's ok.. no one comes here anyway.... hahaha :p j/k

Anonymous said...

Well, just like I guessed, LC is a heavy RSS user...XD

ah yes, just realised that I can subscribe your blog on my cellphone as well, how nice:D

Anonymous said...

hm~ok, maybe I was seeing things, but I'm quite sure this blog was RSS-featured? oh well.....ND's 白目 again...XD

LC said...

hari, I used your blog I wanted to use a blog as an example and I know you're so nice you wouldn't mind. ha :P

ND, yes this blog has RSS feed.
Me, heavy RSS user? Not really. I guess you can easily surpass that. It's easy to imagine somebody subscribing hundreds of RSS feeds.

Anonymous said...

well..no.. i don't mind, just interesting to suddenly seeing things and thinking...this look so familiar... and then... duh.. it's the stuff u wrote urself then i am like.. wait a min.... hrhr..anyway.. maybe i'll start using this when i get enuf blogs to visit! hrhr

Anonymous said...

or... u can just post more regularly :p