Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Happy with your quality of life?

The news article says a survey shows New Zealanders are satisfied with their lives even though we have lower income in OECD countries.

It also mentions how we spend our time. We spend the least time watching TV. We spend 2 hours a day to eat and drink. That's the second longest, just behind France. That's great because I eat slowly. I'm in NZ and people spend lots of time eating anyway. :P

Then the newspaper asks the readers for opinions.

"Are you happy with your quality of life?"

Yes. That's what I would say, given it's a yes-no question.

We've got clean water and good sanitation systems. There's still a significant portion of the world population without those basic needs. We should be grateful for what we have. OK. Even if we don't think in such a large scale, just the cities of developed countries, Auckland is still pretty good in my opinion.

Of course, different people with different situations probably feel differently about their quality of life. I'm just fortunate enough to have a life I'm happy with.

I've lived in Taipei and I've lived in Auckland. I think it's no use to dwell on things that you don't have at the place you are at. For example, if I keep complaining that Auckland doesn't have 7-11, 捷運 and 燒仙草, it doesn't help me. It just makes me miserable. So, do what's available here. Walk some tracks. Enjoy the beach. Eat some pies. Perhaps, develop patience while waiting and taking the slow buses. Hey, at least I get to sit in the bus. I almost always stand in the MRT in Taipei.

If you ask me the same question when I was in Taipei, I would answer "yes", too. There are things to enjoy in Taipei. The convenience, the food, the events and performances. For Hari, the girls too, from a distance. :P

So. If you really don't like your city, you should move. Otherwise, just enjoy the city you're in. Appreciate what you've got.

I guess I'll make an exception for people living in 高雄, though. You have the right to be miserable. :P I'm joking. I've never lived there so I don't really know.

3 comments:

ND said...

Hm, you can get 燒仙草 in AKL.
And I think there are convenient shops in AKL like 7-11 too. (+ if you never been to a 7-11 shop ard 3am, I don't see why it should be on the complain list.)

Are you too picky and I'm too generous, or the vice versa? XD

LC said...

燒仙草 in AKL doesn't taste like 燒仙草. It's like the hot food in the old Uni of AKL cafeteria. They look like food, but they don't taste like food.

Come to think of it. I've been to 7-11 at 2am. I didn't go at 3am because my friends were going to rob the shop..... I'm joking.

ND, you're a Westie, a country bloke (with a PS3). So you're used having nothing near your place. Also, different people would want different stuff. You probably want 臭豆腐 and video game shops more.

Hari said...

lol.. I don't think you can call what they sell in akl 燒仙草.. no offence to the ppl making them but.. you know..

I am not a big fan of 燒仙草 anyway but.. :p

The 7-11 equivalent in akl is called Star mart? they only exist in city & in some (few) petrol stations. They not any good.

& LC, even if you have 7-11 in Akl, like we do here in Melb, trust me, it's not the same. You don't get 關東煮 and certainly not 茶葉蛋!!!! and no HOT DOG BUNS!

You also won't get the range of drinks you get in TW.. PLUS, 7-11 here is WAY too pricy. I hardly ever go in there to buy ANYTHING except for Metcard (TRAM/Train ticket).

So.. having a 7-11 in akl isn't the same, you can scrap that off your wish list and just face the fact you live in a Western country! and make your Mom cook all the nice twness food! :p or, get a gf who does :p