Thursday, July 12, 2007

Can you say A to Z?

A primary school ex-classmate of mine wants to learn English and he asked me to teach him English. Why me? I'm not an English teacher. Anyway, he brought along a friend of his. The three of us sat in McDonald's and just chatted casually. They asked me about how to say something in English and I'd tried my best to answer them. I guess they could pick up a few things but there are much effective ways.

About 2 hours later we actually got an English teacher to join us. She's also our ex-classmate. She just finished her work, which is teaching children English.

She worked overtime last night by teaching our group. She got really into it after a while. She asked us to say the letters from A to Z. It was harder than I thought. She corrected my ex-classmate that H should sound like "eich" not "etch", J should be "jay" not "街", and X should be "aks" with a long flat vowel sound, not something like "eiks".

Similarly, she asked us to count from 1 to 10. She was strict on the pronunciations. She spoke fluent English with American accent herself. When the students didn't understand a word, she explained it in English and gave examples by using the word in other sentences. I felt that she's more like somebody who's lived in an English speaking country than I am. :P

After all that, I'm no longer sure if I can say the 26 letters correctly. However, I know that I still say the last letter Z as "zed" instead of "zee". hehehe :P

No comments: