Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Social Network [film]

The literal title of the film would be "The Facebook Founders". There were probably hundreds of social networking services with at least 10,000 users. I was more interested to see how Facebook prevailed and became the most popular service with more than 500 million users. What did they do that made they different? But the story wasn't about that. It was about the friendship of the founders turned sour. It was about the smart, socially inept and ruthless Mark in one way or another used other people to build up Facebook.

It looked like a good film with a good story. But it didn't "feel" right to me. It felt like a fictional story pretending to be a true story. The real Sean Parker said it was all fictional. Justin Timberlake played a character that happened to have his name. He said he wished his life was that cool.

I tried to view it as a fictional story, but the name Facebook was mentioned all the time. Also, all the characters had names of real people who I had seen on the TV and the Internet. I tried to view it as a real story, but then Justin Timberlake entered the film. It was hard to believe a computer hacker would be so charismatic. It was even harder when this character was played by a pop singer.

The picture, story and acting were good. But I just didn't enjoy it very much on the whole. I didn't understand all the hype about it at the time. I wouldn't have chosen it to be the best film for Oscar.

LC rates: 3 stars

No comments: