Thursday, February 26, 2009

Starlight Symphony

I went to Starlight Symphony. Although this event had run for many years, I had never been there. What I heard about the event was that it was similar to Christmas in the Park but with classical music. It had a fireworks show at the end. As Alice is a fireworks fanatic, she mentioned about this event more than a month ago. I checked out the information on the Internet and found that this year Brooke Fraser will perform there! Brooke Fraser! So I was determined to go. But it turned out that Alice had another friend's event to go and couldn't go to Starlight Symphony. I thought it might start a chain reaction that Andy doesn't go because Alice doesn't go. Then Peter doesn't go because Andy doesn't go. And so. I was so determined to go that I'd go even by myself if nobody joins me. Luckily, the good guy Andy went with me. Later, Jesu and Lydia also came to Auckland Domain and Andy somehow managed to find them.

The weather was a worry initially. It rained earlier that day and I thought the event may be postponed. It turned clear in the evening. Other than a drizzle at the start of the show, it stayed dry for the rest of the event.

They played pieces of music that many people are familiar with. For example, in the beginning, there were several violinists featured one by one. They played different movements of the Four Seasons by Vivaldi. Andy commented on them like a 星光大道評審. Andy said a few of them sounded different from his CD recordings at home but they got their own styles. However, Andy said one was 太油. Ha, that comment is usually for 星光大道 or American Idol but not for classical music.

They played more pieces of classical music that I was familiar with. Some of them particularly interested me because I played them in high school in the orchestras. Auckland Philharmonia played Williamtell Overture, Finlandia, Pomp & Circumstances. Jeffrey, I wish you were there. Ah, good old high school orchestra times.

In the second half of the event, about 2 hours into the show, Brooke Fraser finally got on the stage. That was what we'd been waiting for. Well, "we" as many other people and I. Andy, Jesu and Lydia didn't know who she was. Brooke Fraser started by singing Shadowfeet, one of the hit singles of her second album. Then she sang Deciphering Me from the same album. The third song was Mystery, it's a less promoted song from the first album. So I thought she wouldn't end it with that song. Indeed, she then performed her first hit song, Better. Then she stepped off the stage. The host then asked the audience whether if we wanted more Brooke Fraser. Of course the audience said we wanted more. Brooke then came back on the stage and sat at the piano. She played the piano and sang the mellow ballade Arithmetic. I loved Brooke Fraser's performance. She played the piano for three of the five songs I think. The orchestra played the other instruments for the songs, which was different from her usual band, and it sounded great.

After that, another highlight was a laser light show. It was wicked.

Then the whole event finsished with Auckland Philharmonia playing the 1812 Overture and to accompany the fireworks. The fireworks were dazzling. That's one of the best fireworks I've seen.

So. I really enjoyed Starlight Symphony. To me, it was better than Christmas in the Park because I've heard those Christmas songs too many times. Also, the fireworks were magnificent. 

One thing is the same for both events, though. Wear warm clothes even though it's summer. It gets cold in the evening in such an open space. The other three people probably got quite cold by the end of the show. ha :P


Related pages:
Brooke Fraser's YouTube channel - Watch the music videos of some songs that were mentioned. 
Brooke Fraser's MySpace Music page - Listen to some of her songs that were mentioned. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told ya it's a "MUST GO" event! It's not just the fireworks..it's FIREWORKS + LASER + cannon FIRE!

aii..need to wait for another year now :(

LC said...

Yup, it's fascinating. I'll go next year if I'm in Auckland. Brooke Fraser probably won't come, though.

Anonymous said...

"if"? planning to be somewhere else this time next year already? :p

LC said...

It's unpredictable where people will be. Look who are in Taiwan now. It's possible that I'll be in Taiwan for an extended holiday. Or I'll work in Taiwan. Or I'll get an extension and finish my master thesis in Taiwan. :P