Monday, October 22, 2007

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture - Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

I recently downloaded and watched the presentation of a Professor at Carnegie Mellon University talking about "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". I enjoyed it and I was impressed by the positive attitude of this professor.

The computer science professor Randy Pausch has been diagnosed with cancer and is expected to have only 3 to 6 months to live. This presentation is known as his "last lecture". Throughout the lecture he showed a lot of energy, told many funny stories and had fun. "I'm dying and I'm having fun," he said.

The title of the presentation was Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams. How to achieve your childhood dreams. How to enable the dreams of others. But it was broader than that. He offered words of wisdom on things such as attitude towards people, and why everybody should become a professor :P

Because I'm in the computer science field (I think). It was also interesting to see his work on virtual reality.

As Randy wrote on his home page, "I'm hardly unique". Indeed, you might not find this presentation extraordinary, but it doesn't diminish what a positive person he is and his contribution to students and the people around him.

The presentation can be found on Randy Pausch's home page:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/
The duration of presentation is 104 minutes. The size of the download version is 252MB. My friends in Auckland can copy the file from me if you want to save your broadband data usage. Just hand me your SD card/flash disk/MP3 player/CD-R.

No comments: