Thursday, December 17, 2009

Free Software Alternatives

I probably will install Windows 7 soon. I'm noting down the software applications I've installed so I remember to install them on the new system. I see I that use some free software programs that are alternatives to Microsoft programs. People who want alternatives may check them out. They're all free.

Google Chrome and Mozilla FireFox. Web Browsers. Alternative to Internet Explorer.
OpenOffice.org. An office suite. Alternative to Microsoft Office.
VLC media player. A video player for many types of media files. Alternative to Windows Media Player + RealPlayer + QuickTime Player.
Winamp. A media player that's been around longer than Windows Media Player (WMP). I still use it for playing music files like MP3, even though VLC also plays music too. Alternative to WMP.
GIMP. An image editor. Alternative to Adobe Photoshop.
CDBurnerXP. CD/DVD burning. Alternative to Nero Burning ROM or the very slow CD burning function of Windows Vista.
CDex. CD ripper. Alternative to Windows Media Player.

Yes, I dislike Windows Media Player. I find the user interface confusing.

No comments: