Friday, July 15, 2011

Salesperson at My Door

A salesperson came to my door recently. I've got some thoughts as I reflect on this event:

  • Several times after I refused him, he asked me "what's your concern?", "what's on your mind?" I think that's a pretty good sales tactic. Whatever I say, he can then respond to my answer and suggest why his service is better. 
  • On the other hand, I probably should answer as little as possible. Maybe just say I'm happy with what we use now.
  • I stayed firm and didn't succumb to pressure. I told him that I can get all these information myself. I haven't made a decision to switch ISP. I don't want somebody to come to my door and push me to make a decision this moment. Good on me. 我好欺負可是我更摳,不要來叫我付錢。
  • Mum answered the door first and she let him took a step inside the door. That made it a bit more difficult to make him leave. Otherwise I'd just shut the door.
  • It's a pity that I wasn't rude to him. I should learn some swear words that I can yell out but won't get me sued. It's a chance to direct all my anger in life towards the guy without feeling guilty. :P

---------
Originally I wrote out what the salesperson was selling in detail. Then I thought it wasn't necessary. So I put it here as an "appendix". So I don't throw away my writing… :P (Although a lesson from Project Runway is that editing is critical.)

A salesperson came to my door recently. He first told me that Vodafone has upgraded the lines in this neighbourhood and they'll upgrade our modem. This confused me. We didn't use Vodafone for our ADSL Internet. Anyway, he tried to sell me a Vodafone Internet plan. He kept emphasizing the new modem. That rubbed me the wrong way. He wanted me to sign up right that moment. I told him that Orcon had a cheaper deal for the same data cap. Then he said if I wanted to sign up Orcon, he can do it too. He doesn't represent just one Internet company. Apparently he can get customers for a variety of companies. What?! It was weird.

Anyway, he kept trying to make me sign up something. I got irritated after 15 minutes or so. I was just about to go out when he came to our door. I told him that I can get all these information myself. I haven't made a decision to switch ISP. I don't want somebody to come to my door and push me to make a decision this moment.

Eventually we settled on that I'd think about it for a day. He would come back the next day. But he didn't.

1 comment:

Hari said...

ROFL at someone trying to sell something to LC