Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Why are you so expensive?

I read some of the annoying things clients say to the designers. My designer friends probably resonate with them the most. Interestingly, I find that software engineers probably feel empathy to some of the stories too. My favourite is this one:

  1. Prospective client: $400 for a logo?! Why are you so expensive? My nephew has Photoshop—I can just get him to do it.
  2. Me: Does your nephew have Microsoft Word?
  3. Prospective client: Yes.
  4. Me: Then have him write you a novel while he’s at it.

Hehehe. Yeah, I agree. Your nephew has a computer. Why don't you ask him to program you an accounting software too?

Creative work and knowledge work are sometimes not valued by some people. They fail to understand that the work requires more than the tools and the physical materials. "Can you add this function for free? It probably just takes you a few minutes to add a few lines of code." People also argue why software is expensive. It's just code. "It doesn't cost anything", which means it doesn't use up physical material. The engineers probably want to shout back "why don't you write the code yourself then?"

Respect the work of your designer friends. They don't just draw. Respect the work of the software engineers. We don't just type.

No comments: